Moodle / myCourses
What is Moodle / myCourses?
Moodle is a learning management system (LMS) - a software package designed to help
educators easily create quality online courses. Such e-learning systems are sometimes
also called Course Management Systems (CMS) or Virtual Learning Environments (VLE).
myCourses is LSUE's version of Moodle. myCourses is the online platform that hosts
all of the courses and their content, including syllabi, assignments, grades, instructor
contact information, forums, and more. For faculty "How to" instructions on Moodle / myCourses functionality, please visit
the MyCourses Training course within Moodle / myCourses. If you would like access
to this course, please contact OIT.
Access to Moodle / myCourses
Students, faculty, and staff can access Moodle / myCourses by going to www.lsue.edu and clicking on "myCourses" on the top left. Then, enter your myLSUE login credentials,
and click "Log in". You can also access myCourses through your myLSUE account.
Some Features of Interest for Faculty
- Moodle / myCourses promotes a social constructionist pedagogy (which includes collaboration,
activity-based learning, critical reflection, etc).
- Moodle / myCourses is suitable for 100% online classes as well as supplementing face-to-face
- Moodle / myCourses has a simple, lightweight, efficient, compatible, low-tech browser
- Courses can be categorized an searched - one Moodle / myCourses site can support thousands
- Choice of course formats such as by week, by topic or a discussion-focused social
- Flexible array of course activities - Forums, Journals, Quizzes, Resources, Choices,
Surveys, Assignments, Chats, Workshops.
- Full user logging and tracking - activity reports for each student are available with
graphs and details about each module (last access, number of times read) as well as
detailed "story" of each student's involvement including postings, journal entries,
etc on one page.
- Mail integration - copies of forum posts, teacher feedback, etc can be mailed in HTML
or plain text.
- Custom scales - teachers can define their own scales to be used for grading forums,
assigments and journals.
For additional information around Moodle / myCourses, please contact OIT.