This course is 100% online
Become a Certified HR Professional
Human capital is the single most important asset in any business and human resources
professionals are charged with protecting these assets. This 100% online training
course will prepare you for the Professional in Human Resources (PHR) certification
exam offered by the Human Resource Certification Institute (HRCI). You will be fully
equipped to advance your career as a certified PHR in only 6 months.
Job Outlook for Human Resource Professionals
The Bureau of Labor Statistics estimates a 5% job growth for human resources specialists
and a slightly higher rate of growth for those in management roles. This will equal
an additional 33,000 job openings over the next 8 years. The median salary for those
in a human resources specialist position is nearly $62,000 with top earners making
more than $105,000 annually.
Human Resources Professional FAQs
Do you need a certification to work as a human resources specialist?
While a certification is not required to work as a human resources specialist, the
Professional in Human Resources (PHR) certification is one of the most widely known
and most respected credentials in the field of human resources. It is also a requirement
by most employers before you will be considered for higher-level human resources roles.
Does this course prepare me for certification?
Yes. This Human Resources Professional training course will prepare you for the Professional
in Human Resources (PHR) exam offered by the Human Resources Certification Institute
(HRCI). According to Payscale.com, those who have PHR certification get promoted faster
and have a median salary that is $20,000 higher than those who do not.
Is Human Resources a good career?
Absolutely. Every organization, large or small, needs someone who can help them with
employee relations. A career in Human Resources can be whatever you make it. There
are dozens of specialties and career paths to fit almost anyone interested in helping
others while improving relations between employers and employees.
- Be fully prepared for the Professional in Human Resources certification from HRCI
- Understand human resources practices, valuable skills related to recruitment and
- Gain foundational knowledge of employment laws and regulations
- Develop retention initiatives and best practices for strategic decision making
Prerequisites and Requirements
There are no specific prerequisites for taking this course. However, HRCI requires
that you meet one of the following criteria in order to sit for PHR certification:
- Master’s degree or higher = 1 year of work experience in a professional-level HR role
- Bachelor’s degree = 2 years of work experience in a professional-level HR role
- Anything less than a bachelor’s degree = 4 years of work experience in a professional-level
- INTRODUCTION TO HUMAN RESOURCES
- Learn about opportunities in the HR field and the skills you will need for success.
- HR’S ROLE IN STRATEGY
- Learn how to create compelling vision and mission statements, policies, and metrics
grounded in business strategy.
- RECRUITING AND HIRING EMPLOYEES
- Understand how to write a job ad that will attract candidates, effectively review
résumés, properly prepare for an interview, and formally make a job offer.
- TRAINING PROGRAMS
- Learn the basics of training, including the design, development, implementation, analysis,
and evaluation of training programs.
- COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
- Understand all the things that must be considered when designing a compensation and
- EMPLOYEE HEALTH AND SAFETY
- Learn the ins and outs of complying with OSHA, protecting against workplace hazards,
and investigating, recording, and preventing accidents and employee illnesses.
- THE LEGAL ENVIRONMENT
- Gain knowledge of employment law as well as an understanding of equal employment opportunity,
avoiding discrimination, and what happens when an employee files an EEOC claim.
- MAKING HR DECISIONS
- Learn how to make decisions based on various company growth strategies and how to
use HRIS Software as well as job analysis as a tool for decision-making.
- AFFIRMATIVE ACTION
- Learn the full spectrum of affirmative action, how to create an affirmative action
plan, and information on the AAP you will need to know.
- Understand what diversity is and why it is a good thing in an organization as you
learn to manage it and handle conflict.
- EMPLOYEE RIGHTS AND DISCIPLINE
- Learn the laws that protect employee rights and privacy and how to properly monitor
and document behavior and discipline employees.
- Understand the alternatives to firing as well as how to prepare for termination, including
proper separation agreements as well as what to do in the event of wrongful discharge.
- Learn why it is so important to investigate problems as well as the steps of an effective
investigation including preparing, conducting, and wrapping it up.
- MANAGING LABOR RELATIONS
- Get a quick overview of the history of unions as you learn how they work and why employees
- CREATING A HIGH-PERFORMANCE WORKPLACE
- Learn how to ask employees for input and act on it, delegate authority, keep communication
open, and continuously ask for feedback as you strive to develop a high-performance
- GLOBAL HUMAN RESOURCES
- Understand the basics of staffing strategy, cultural differences, HR in other countries,
choosing global employees, and issues faced by expatriates.
- Learn the top reasons employees leave a company and how you can encourage them to
stay as well as the importance of succession planning.
- MOTIVATION, REWARDS, AND RECOGNITION
- Find out fun ways to motivate workers and gain nine strategies for creating a great
- PREPARING FOR THE PHR EXAM
- Gain information on externships and internships as you review the basics of the PHR
exam and begin to study.
Anna Smith has worked in the field of human resources for 30 years and has taught
at the university level for over 20 years. She holds a bachelor's degree in business
administration from Spalding University, a master's degree in management from Webster
University, and a Master Online Teaching certificate from the University of Illinois.
She is also a certified Senior Professional in Human Resources and a SHRM Senior Certified
Professional. Her experience spans many areas of human resources, including recruitment,
labor relations, and affirmative action plans.