Chapter 35
Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance

First-time applicants: need to complete VA Form 22-5490 (Dependents’ Application for VA Benefits).  This is typically done online using VONAPP.  Dependents or spouses of 100 percent VA-rated disabled or deceased veterans must provide a copy of their birth certificates or marriage licenses when applying to facilitate processing by the VA. The copy of the birth certificate or marriage license can be dropped off or mailed to the VA Office (Acadian Center, Room 112).

After the application is processed by the VA, students will receive a “Certificate of Eligibility" (COE) from VA outlining the details of their VA Education Benefits. All students must also bring or send a copy of their "Certificate of Eligibility" to the VA Office (Acadian Center, Room 112).


Transfer students, or LSU Eunice students who have changed their degree plan after already receiving benefits under Chapter 35, must complete the VA form 22-5495 (Request for Change of Program or Place of Training). Click here for a list of approved programs at LSU Eunice.

Chapter 35 students are required to verify their enrollment on or after the last day of each benefit month if enrolled half-time or less.  This may be done by calling the VA at 1-877-823-2378 or by accessing the VA  W.A.V.E. website

All VA students must also bring or send the following documents to the VA Office (Acadian Center, Room 112) at the beginning of each semester:

This must be done each semester, as soon as schedules are final and have been approved by their advisors. The VA office at LSU Eunice cannot certify students to receive payments from the VA until all of the above documentation has been received.

Veterans Affairs LSU Eunice
Office of Student Affairs & Enrollment Services
Acadian Center, Room 112
P.O. Box 1129
Eunice, LA 70535